Sunday, September 7, 2008

Denver, August '08

I was invited to appraise a collection of 3,000+ records that was everything from classical to rock to soundtracks and jazz.  I wasn't sure of what to expect but I took a chance since I'd always wanted to travel to that city. I was there for 3 days. I wish that I could have stayed longer. 
The outcome:
*The records were okay. I'd rate the collection a 7 out of 10 considering condition and selection
*I have 70+ great records (from 60s/70s rock. Moog music. nostalgic soundtracks) to consign
*I met Ben Summer at Twist & Shout, an easy going, european buyer with mad record knowledge
*I came back with more $ in my pocket than when I left the San Francisco Bay Area

aka... It was a good trip!

Trip Highlight...
On the last day of my trip I took about 200 records to sell at Independent Records East Colfax. I was there solo carrying records back and forth from the car into the record store. I'm parked out front and Randy (see pic below) walks up with a cigarette hanging out of the side of his mouth and says, "You selling those"...I say, "Yes, you interested in taking a look?" He offers to carry the records into the records into the store, places the records onto the buy counter and proceeds to pick out things of interest. Meanwhile, I'm thinking to myself how amazing this is that I'm slanging records out the car, then in the record store, right next to the buyer... Finally, Randy has 30 records in his hand and the buyer is ready for me. The way it works is they view the records overnight and call the next day or so for an offer. I left 150 records behind. The record store buyer points to Randy's picks and says, "Are you selling those to us too?"... I say, "No not anymore... Thanks! (with a grin on my face)." Randy paid me out in cash for his stack. 
 
(above: randy looking through my records)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home